Sewing a capsule wardrobe for a music festival
- 5+ mix and match outfits
- Paired with sewing patterns
- To take you through rain, sun and mud
- From the dance floor to the mac & cheese truck
- And from dawn to… dawn!
In 2012 I went to Glastonbury music festival as a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience. Seven years later, I’m looking forward to my 7th festival. I just can’t get enough of it!
During all those years of Glasto-going, I’ve experienced and witnessed my fair share of festival wardrobe mishaps:
- The time I forgot my raincoat and had to wring my top dry midway through a gig.
- The time we refashioned a bin bag into a raincoat, significantly restricting my friend’s vision so he ran through a downpour like a blinkered pony.
- The time another friend had nothing but a hoody to keep her warm and, after the heavens opened, drip-dried it in her tent for days as she shivered.
- The many times there was wellington boot-induced rubbing on unsuspecting hairy legs resulting in a hairless streak on each calf.
But I’ve also had a few *ahem* undeniable successes, especially the time my friend ran up to me at a gig to present me with two newly purchased matching sparkly jackets.
So clearly clothing choices at a festival can be both important and fun. And the great thing is, this time I can sew, which means I can choose exactly what I want to wear and attempt to create it myself. If you’re a sewing festival-goer too, join me!
I’ve picked clothes that are comfy, weather-appropriate, full of pockets, and that can be worn all day and night long. If they have a bit of sparkle or twirl-factor, even better. With that in mind, here’s what I’ve come up with:
|Torso||Raincoat x 1|
Jacket x 1
Tank top x 1
T-shirt x 1
Dress x 2
|Eden coat, Tilly and the Buttons|
Joy jacket, Chalk and Notch
Super basic tank top, Halfmoon Atelier
Stellan tee, French Navy
Stacia dress, Sew Liberated
Sunny dress, Friday Pattern Company
|Legs||Leggings x 2|
Shorts x 1
Skirt x 1
|Avery leggings, Helen’s Closet|
Allister shorts, République du Chiffon
Soho skirt, Liesl + Co
|Feet||Wellies x 1|
Trainers x 1
Long socks x 4
Short socks x 3
|Cozy toes socks, Peek-a-boo Pattern Shop|
You’ll be able to mix and match the garments depending on the weather and your plans for the day. Your outfits for the festival might look something like this:
|Day 1||Hot and dry||Shorts, tank|
|Day 2||Cold and dry||Dress, leggings, jacket|
|Day 3||Cold and raining||Dress, leggings, jacket, raincoat|
|Day 4||Hot and raining||Skirt, t-shirt, raincoat|
|Day 5||Hot and dry||Dress|
- If it’s hot and dry, soak up the vitamin D and take advantage of wearing trainers.
- If it’s cold, chuck on some leggings and a jacket.
- And if it’s raining, add in your raincoat, long socks and wellies!
You might also want to throw in some PJs, a hat, and even a fancy dress costume. Let your imagination run wild – it’s a festival after all!
What do you think? Have I missed anything? If you have any other pattern suggestions, I’d love to see them.